Financial Aid Office

Types of Financial Aid:

Grants > Loans > Scholarships


Grants are financial awards that do not have to be paid back. They are available through the Federal government and local state agencies. All students apply for both Federal and State grants using the FAFSA but other grants are available if you research based on things such as ethnicity, religion, and degree focus.

The most common grants for undergraduate students are:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Tuition Reimbursement Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  • Federal College Work Study

Federal Pell Grant

The Pell Grant is a Federal program designed to help students meet the costs of their education and the application is automatically made through FAFSA. Factors considered in determination of student eligibility include the student's income, number of dependents, etc (which combine to create the students Expected Family Contribution). Pell payments are available to students for two full time semesters of study a year. For SDC students who want to take advantage of our 3-semester year, our counselor's are available to meet with students to discuss other financial options in paying for the 3rd semester. Most commonly, a student's 3rd semester is funded by a student loan.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

FSEOG is a need-based Federal entitlement program created to provide additional support to students whose costs cannot be covered through their own resources or other financial aid.

Federal College Work Study (FCWS)

SDC participates in the Federally funded Work Study Program which provides eligible students  for part-time college related work.

Admissions | Financial Aid | S-DC News | Alumni | About S-DC | Giving To S-DC
Sojourner-Douglass College is accredited by the Middle States Association and approved Maryland Higher Education Commission Copyright 2012, All Rights Reserved. For more info, contact webmaster: Tacuma Simmons 200 N. Central Avenue Baltimore MD, 21202 Local: (410) 276-0306 Toll Free: 1-800-732-2630